The Owner Driver and Forestry Contractors Act 2005 (Vic) establishes for the first time in Victoria a comprehensive system that protects owner drivers from unfair business practices. This legislation is the culmination of 30 years of lobbying by the TWU.
The Owner Driver and Forestry Contractors Act 2005 (Vic) establishes a mechanism for owner drivers to resolve disputes in a low cost easily accessible system. The legislation establishes the Transport Industry Council, Code of Practice, Information Booklet, Rates and Costs Schedules and Model contracts.
The Act sets up the Transport Industry Council which is responsible for advising and making recommendations to the Industrial Relations Minister on:
- A Code of Practice for owner drivers;
- An Information Booklet for owner drivers;
- Rates and Costs schedules;
- Model Contracts; and
- Any other matters relevant to owner drivers and their hirers.
The Transport Industry Council is comprised of representatives from:
- Transport Workers’ Union of Australia;
- Victorian Trades Hall Council;
- Victorian Transport Association;
- Australian Industry Group; and
- Victorian Employers’ Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
It has an independent Chairperson, Commissioner John Tolley of the AIRC, and has adopted a consultative approach in performing its role.